Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Herb and Dorothy

I came across this documentary after searching a composer from another documentary that I enjoyed and this trailer started to make me thing a little bit about who has access to art. It also made me think about how the act of collecting art itself is changing with New Genre pieces.

Over spring break, I worked with the Pomegranate Center in Issaquah which works to weave public art into communities. While working on site in Tacoma, a resident of the neighbor really challenged the center's mission by pointing out that this art wasn't respected in the community by being vandalized, and it wasn't what the neighborhood needed since many of the residents were struggling to provide their families with the essentials for living. I guess a question that comes up for me is where does art fall in the spectrum of necessity to luxury - and does it depend on the form it takes? Who can have access to art and who does without knowing it?

HERB & DOROTHY Trailer from Herb & Dorothy on Vimeo.

No comments: