Monday, October 6, 2008

The Infinite Wisdom of Picasso



I really enjoy reading about Pablo Picasso. He is definately someone that I look up to as an artist, not so much his style, but rather the way he felt about and spoke about art. I keep a list of quotes on my computer and I read them from time to time when I feel like I need inspiration. Here are a few of my favorites. I'd challenge you to really think about them. There's a lot of wisdom in these simple phrases.

"The purpose of Art is to create enthusiam."

"The chief enemy of creativity is good taste."

"The important thing is to create."

"The hidden harmony is better than the obvious."

"Art is a lie that helps us to realize the truth."

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
(That's one my favorite, it basically sums up my entire narrative piece)

So what do you guys think of this stuff? I'd be really interested to hear your responses, especially to the first one. Do you agree of disagree?

2 comments:

Jenn said...

i think i would use the word "interest" instead of "enthusiasm" but i think they have a similar meaning.

i think children can make such honest and pure art because they aren't as used to language. as adults we have internalized language so much and when we think, we think in words, and when we feels, we feel in words. They are more familiar with the visual world than the spoken one and therefore have a different set of symbols. and they don't get their ideas bottled up into neat little definitions of words like we think we should.

ps- i don't think i really like picasso that much. he seems like an attention starved little boy.

Gina said...

I really agree with what you are saying about children being better artists because of the language and symbols they use. I think the more you learn about something, the more difficult it becomes.