Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Stan Brackage



I mentioned this guy a while back as making a film that someone could look at formally quite easily (even if it is very conceptual). And since no one was assigned to him, I decided this was a good place for him. He actually attached the bug and plant matter to the physical film to make this. He also painted directly on to the film to create the title screen. This film is called "Moth Light" from 1963. He did a lot of different kinds of films but I like this one most of what I have seen. Film is interesting to me. He uses film here in its most film like way. A lot of films could have easily been made with video (yes there are differences, of course) and it would not have changed the works conceptually. This work is completely rooted in the fact that it is film. I think it would be really interesting to look at the film itself, not running through a machine. This also seems like it could be a really cool type of project to make. I really enjoy meticulous art projects. I just don't find the time to make them for classes. Too many deadlines. I think it could be a fun collaborative project. Maybe when I'm a teacher I'll look into that.

3 comments:

Excaliborn7 said...

Cool piece. The physical film itself is as important as the image it projects.

Troy said...

wow a pretty amazing piece conceptually and aesthetically, i like how the artist attached the objects to the film, which carries a totally different meaning than "filming" the objects, since they are bypassing all the chemical processes for the real thing.

Jenn said...

yeah, is this mechanical reproduction? is it really reproducing anything? it is telling a sort of story... so maybe. its really cool to think about. I came across this at a time when I was trying to answer the question "what is film/cinema/movie/video/annimation" and it really messed up any definitions i was working on. I think i decided a film/cinema/movie/video/animation is just image/time. there is a visual component (even if it is totally black or white) and there is a duration... this can be slowed quickened sometimes depending on the media... but there is always a certain order. I think my definition gets blurry when I think about books though... because flip books are animations.. but what if you just flip through a book of pictures? that is image/time... oh well, finding definitions is only good for having a basis for questioning, not for limiting or even categorizing. defining terms is a way for an artist to find new ways to challenge definitions.