Sunday, April 19, 2009

Shutdown Day

From www.shutdownday.org:

"Shutdown Day announces the Annual 2009 Campaign. Just like in years past, Shutdown Day 2009 calls on every net obsessed, computer–addicted individual to SHUT DOWN their computers for 24 hours on May 2, 2009 and do something else! Shutdown Day 2009 will be promoting several organizations that help young people suffering from computer addiction."

I think this is a great idea, largely because I think a lot of us might have at least a little trouble with it. I tried to think of the amount of time I spend on this computer when I am not doing homework or banking or other necessities, and it adds up to rather a lot. When Shutdown Day comes around I will probably be at work, and would then be stuck to a computer at least part of the time. If not, so help me I will go the day without it.

This video is one I saw roundabouts two years ago, and recently thought of it again (while having laptop troubles) and went back to see what it was all about:

2 comments:

Paul Crik said...

I love this. Makes me reflect on my intimate relationship with my computer.

kristen schaffer said...

yeah, it's become commonplace to have a computer addiction- it is hard not too. It is weird to think of how primary school children now have email addresses!