Friday, March 27, 2009

Changing the world, one bad habit at a time.

"Ready to finally stickK to your commitments? Then stand up, and put your reputation, or even your money, where your mouth is, and change your life. Reap the rewards of your hard work."

Here is the tagline to a really fantastic idea thought up by a young economist. Basically, you bet to yourself that you can commit to a goal. If you do not fulfill your goal each week, you lose the money. The money goes to charity- This group has raised over 1.5 million for charities and there is now some 600,000 on the line that people are betting. Change your life, become a better person, and if you fail, you still are improving yourself-- failure is success, but it is trying to succeed that is important....

This site just really got to me, and challenges me to either change myself or change the world, or something like that. I have been thinking on this one for a while, help me out!

I think this could be BIG.

www.stickk.com

3 comments:

PhilCo. said...

This seems really cool for people who need this kind of motivation. But mostly it scares the heck out of me. Unofficial societal expectations are becoming legal contracts? This seems like the first step to our lives being taken control of. I know that it is voluntary, but this will begin to normalize this kind of thing. I wonder how it will all pan out.

Strugglebucket said...

That is very cool, but I have to agree with Phil a little. This is a contract. You give them your credit card information UP FRONT. There seems like an awful lot can go wrong here, extenuating circumstances, any outside and uncontrollable variables. (Though I suppose if push comes to shove you can just lie through your teeth.) Still, I do like the idea, and I believe they have a point in saying this is different than just making a commitment to yourself, to say, "Okay, I'll do this, and if not, $X will go to this charity" by involving someone who will "keep you honest." But I can't find anywhere on the site a list of the possible charities; I think they would need to have an electronic donation system, and not all do. The cause you want to help might not be available. The size and sincerity of the site leads me to believe you could contact and get information you need, etc. I doubt I will be trying this anytime soon though, as--while I do have plenty of goals--I am flat broke and will have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Andrus Purde said...

If you think that legal contract upfront is too much see Pledgehammer. Our aim was to create something that's dead easy to use and sharable. So one can have the benefits of making a resolution public, sharing it with friends and having a financial incentive, without the hassle of actually taking out your credit card.