Friday, March 27, 2009

Waltz with Bashir

So I came across a trailer for the new animated feature "Waltz with Bashir" that should come out in the states sometime soon. It's supposed to be some sort of anti-war story about a guy recollecting his time in the Lebabnon conflicts.

What I am really interested in is the animation- I think it is brilliantly combining raw images with reality, in the same way that Andy Spiegelman created Maus I & II. Animation allows the viewers to face harsh facts of life- photographs can do it too, no doubt, but there is something so telling in forcing truth to be told in such a visually altered environment.

What do you all think?

3 comments:

Tyler said...

That animation certainly is engrossing. Same style as "A Scanner Darkly," but more hard-edged, and "animated" if that makes sense. The filter - or however they animated it - seems fitting considering, from what I can gather, its about a man's psychological distance from a past reality.

PhilCo. said...

Sweet post. I've been waiting for this movie since last semester! I'm really excited for it. Did you hear the soundtrack during the trailer? I've been looking for that song with the sinister synthesizer since I heard it. I can't get a hold of it, but I did read that it is an 80's pop songcalled "this is not a love song" by P.I.L. and a current artist named Max Richter has done new things over it. This is the nature of the entire soundtrack including a song by Cake. I got all this info from:

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2008/11/soundtrack-waltz-with-bashir-also-hits.html.

It seems like a mixed over and borrowed from the past playlist will fit with the film with its disjointed timeline and a theme of an kind of ancient war being fought in modern times. Also, here we see again that the 80's is the current era we are borrowing nostalgia for at the moment.

Erin Brady said...

The animation style actually really disturbs me. I don't know why, but I find it almost frightening and it makes me very uncomfortable.